ICAP Governance & Management
ICAP is organized around the Plenary, the Co-Chairs, the Steering Committee, and the Secretariat.
ICAP is organized around the Plenary, the Co-Chairs, the Steering Committee, and the Secretariat. Members and Observers form the ICAP Plenary and regularly meet in person or virtually.
The day-to-day implementation work is supported by the ICAP Secretariat based in Berlin, Germany, under the guidance of the ICAP Co-Chairs and the Steering Committee.
The ICAP Co-Chairs provide strategic guidance to the Secretariat regarding the planning and implementation of ICAP activities, chair ICAP meetings, and represent ICAP at events. They also propose the establishment of working groups, engage in networking/outreach with jurisdictions that are actively considering or developing an ETS, as well as with other related organizations and initiatives.
- Since 2021: Rajinder Sahota (Chief of the Industrial Strategies Division, California Air Resources Board) and Dirk Weinreich (German Federal Ministry for Economic Affairs and Climate Action)
- 2019-2021: Beatriz Yordi (Director of European and International Carbon Markets, Directorate-General for Climate Action, European Commission) and Rajinder Sahota (Chief of the Industrial Strategies Division, California Air Resources Board)
- 2015-2018: Jean-Yves Benoit (Carbon Markets Division, Québec Ministry of Sustainable Development, Environment and the Fight Against Climate Change) and Marc Allessie (Director, Dutch Emissions Authority)
- 2013-2014: Leif Ervik (Director General, Ministry of Finance, Norway) and Jared Snyder (Assistant Commissioner for Air Resources, Climate Change and Energy, New York State Department of Environmental Conservation)
- 2011-2012: Pedro Barata (Portugal) and Jared Snyder (New York)
- 2009-2010: British Columbia
The ICAP Secretariat
- prepares and executes the work program
- disseminates knowledge on emissions trading resulting from the ICAP technical dialog workstream and other ICAP activities
- prepares annual progress and financial reports
- organizes ICAP meetings
- represents ICAP at events
- engages and maintains contacts with relevant jurisdictions, organizations and initiatives
- reviews applications for ICAP Membership and Observer status